To help Springer Nature authors and journals follow good practice in sharing and archiving of research data, an optional data deposition and curation services are provided.
The Springer Nature Data Support Services help authors comply with funder policies, prepare their data for deposition in a repository and enhance their peer-reviewed publications.
The services provide secure and private submission of data files, which are then curated and managed by the Springer Nature Research Data team for public release (in agreement with the submitting author). These services are provided by Springer Nature, with support from figshare.
Through the Data Support Services our dedicated Research Data Editors:
- Enhance metadata of dataset(s) to improve discoverability and encourage reuse
- Apply DOIs to provide unique persistent links to dataset(s) and enable citation of them
- Link data to their associated article and coordinate publication with the article
- Store data in the Springer Nature portal in the figshare repository
Benefits of the services
These services provide various benefits to researchers, institutes, funders and journals
Benefits to researchers
- Compliance with funder and institutional data policies
- Link data to their publications and promote citation and reuse of their data
- Saves time and effort needed to deposit and curate data
- Enhances and increases visibility of peer-reviewed publications
Benefits to research funders and institutions
- Assurance of compliance with data policies
- Consistent approaches to data sharing and linking to publications
- Sustainable data curation and archiving
- Appropriate editorial standards
Benefits to journals
- Enabling authors to easily deposit their data and link them to their article, promoting transparency and reproducibility
- Ensuring data associated with articles are available and discoverable, increasing discoverability of the journal’s content